Saturday, February 16, 2008

Snow Day

Great afternoon run in the snow Friday. I have been consistently working a route in Coronado National Monument for a year now - Joes Canyon trail up to the Montezuma Pass and then pound the dirt road back trying to keep the average pace around 5:30 on the downhill. Makes an old guy feel fast. My best yet is 5:06 pace on this 3 mile mostly downhill portion - it drops over 1200 feet in elevation. With the snow and memories of face planting on this route 2 weeks ago, I backed off the pace a bit this week.

Two weeks ago I turned an ankle on the downhill -looked over my shoulder at a truck coming up behind me and took a good tumble. Nice flapper on the hand, scrapped knee, twisted ankle and plenty of blood. The guys in the truck gave me a lift back to my car and shook their heads.

I have been running down some very technical trails in the Huachucas but my two worst wipe outs are on this well graded dirt road. I am too stupid to give up this workout - I love pounding the downhill.

No comments: